Cleaning a Revere Ware tea kettle whistle

I recently came across an article on eHow on how to fix a Revere Ware tea kettle whistle when it stops working.  While overall I would say eHow articles tend to be fairly low quality, this one does offer some good tips.

How to Fix or Replace Revere Ware Tea Kettle Whistles

Revere ware kettles are durable, but broken whistles are hard to replace.

Repairing a Revere ware tea kettle whistle can be a challenge. Spare parts for these sturdy kettles aren’t easily found. If your kettle’s whistle has gone silent, something may be blocking the steam from escaping the small hole in a pressurized stream, or a crack in the plastic top is creating a hole too large for the steam to build up enough pressure to make sound. Either way, you’ll have to fix it or tolerate a quiet kettle from now on.

Difficulty: Easy

Things You’ll Need:

• Revere ware tea kettle
  • Kitchen scrubbing sponge
  • Thin-gauge wire
  • Scissors or wire cutters
  • Vinegar
  • Water
  1. Step 1

Examine the plastic cap with the metal center that retracts from the spout. Look for cracks and make sure the cap is making proper contact with the metal spout. If the plastic cap is cracked, it can’t be fixed because glues and adhesive patches won’t last under high temperatures. Continue using the kettle because it will still boil water for tea; it just won’t whistle. Buy another kettle if you miss the sound.

2. Step 2

Scrub the inside edges of the cap if it is intact and not cracked. Scrub the metal edges of the spout with the rough side of a wet kitchen sponge to remove mineral deposits that may prevent it from closing tightly.

3. Step 3

Cut a 6-inch length of thin-gauge wire with scissors or wire cutters. Poke it through the hole in the metal portion of the tea kettle whistle. Wiggle it back and forth to loosen any mineral deposits from hard water that may be blocking it. Fill the tea kettle with a few cups of water and boil to see if the whistle works.

4. Step 4

Listen for the whistle. If you don’t hear it, empty the tea kettle and refill with a 50 percent solution of water and white vinegar. Set on simmer for 15 minutes. The acid in the vinegar will dissolve mineral deposits inside the kettle that you can’t reach or see.

5. Step 5

Clean the tea kettle every month or so with the vinegar-and-water solution to prevent future buildup that can block the tea kettle whistle.

13 Responses to “Cleaning a Revere Ware tea kettle whistle”

1. Teresa Hollinger says:

Where can I get a replacement plastic trigger for the Revereware 3527017 tea kettle? Ive managed to glue it twice but it broke and it is not glueable.

I have a Reverware cookware set from 1953 that I still use daily but this is my second teakettle because the trigger breaks at the hinge.

2. Peter says:

Unfortunately those parts aren’t available anywhere. It is on our list of new parts to have made but it can take a while sometimes before we have it available for sale.

The only solution we know of is to find another kettle, perhaps from a thrift store, to use as a donor for parts.

3. Laurie says:

I have a Revere Ware kettle that I bought in the early 90s and it’s developed a leak at the spot weld for the handle ( i think it’s a spot weld). When I fill the kettle all the way, the water leaks out. Any suggestions on how to get this repaired? My kettle is better quality than the newer ones, but the trigger is already partially broken so it may not be worth fixing anyway.

4. Peter says:

While the quality of the cookware sold under the Revere Ware brand today is far inferior to the cookware produced decades ago, I’m not sure this is true with tea kettles. I’ve owned a number of them, both vintage and recently purchased and It is hard to tell the difference in both form and function. The newer ones may be slightly more prone to failure around the seam between the stainless steel and the bottom, or breakage of the Bakelite trigger or whistling cap, but I’ve had vintage ones fail in this way as well. I still use one today that was purchased in the late 90′s.

My advice would be to purchase a brand-new one from Amazon.com ($23) or get a used one from Ebay. The used ones on Ebay often go for $10 or so (plus shipping).

Given the lost cost of replacement, it probably wouldn’t be cost effective to have yours repaired.

But keep it around anyways when you get a new one; should your Bakelite parts break, stealing them from another kettle is the only way to replace them presently.

5. kathy medina says:

Hi.
    I have a small revere ware whistling tea kettle that no longer whistles because of damage to the black pc that goes over the hole. It no longer seals the hole.
    I see there are 2 screws on the handle. Is it possible to get that whole unit ? Number on the tea kettle is CO2H, made in China.
    It’s a beautiful little tea kettle cosmetically.
    Thank you for any help you can offer.

6. Peter says:

Unfortunately we don’t sell those at the moment (haven’t made them yet) and Revere Ware no longer sells them. The only solution we are aware of is to find another kettle to use for parts.

7. Margaret says:

Our teakettle has stopped whistling because the metal part dropped out of the plastic part. Is there any way I can reattach it? My grandmother gave me this teakettle 40 years ago and except for not whistling, and a small dent, it is in great shape. I did as she said and keep marbles in it to prevent scale from forming.

8. Peter says:

Thanks for the marbles trick.

In terms of reattaching the metal part to the Bakelite part, you might try superglue. That is uncharted territory for us as we haven’t attempted anything like that yet.

You can also look for another kettle at a thrift store to use as a donor for parts.

9. Charles says:

I am disappointed to read that my tea kettle handle cannot be replaced. I have a small one and it has been wonderful. I keep it polished and love the whistle. I have heard that whistle for over 30 years!

10. john says:

I’ve had good luck repairing pot parts with high temperature glue used for auto head gasket repair. Most glue can’t withstand the high temperatures and moisture but the high temperature engine glue (I think it is silicone based) has worked like a charm. I strongly recommend letting the glue cure for a day before using.

11. James says:

I need to replace the entire black plastic trigger mechanism on my copper tea kettel. Please advise when parts are available.

12. Mary Sue says:

I have found a “donor” whistle/lid for my tea kettle. Any advice on how to transplant? Do I force out the horizontal pins?

13. Peter says:

The pins are crimped at one end. Try to uncrimp them using a pair of pliers so that the slide out easily and can be used again.